June 28, 2010

Where's All My Soul Sista's

A scan of pop radio and a peek at recent wedding videos shows that the catchy song du jour is Train's "Hey Soul Sister." It's feel good, with a nice beat and a sweet message.

For those that know my DJ'ing style, I live for a climatic end and a perfect last dance. Throughout the years I have played the obvious (Last Dance, Closing Time, Time of My Life). And over the past few years, I've had a handful of go to songs to close out an evening. By the time a gig is about to end, I've put my finger on what the crowd is really into, so based on that, I'll play the last dance accordingly.

I'm always looking to add more and I think I have found it in "Hey Soul Sister." My pre-requisites for a good last dance is that it cannot be cliche (like the ones above), it generally should be upbeat (no "Unchained Melody") and it's nice to have a long instrumental ending (so I can talk over it and give one last shout out to the bride and groom).

This track seems to have all of those and I can't wait to use it soon. Check out this lip dub of the song at the Universitat de Vic in Spain.

**If you're reading this on Facebook, be sure to click on "view original post" to go to my blog and see the embedded video.



djkanoya.com
facebook.com/djkanoyaproductions

No comments: