August 4, 2010

Thanks for the Thanks

I'm not gonna lie ... I love DJ'ing, but it really is hard work. You would think playing music at parties is pretty easy, but it's so much more than that. Mentally it's tough because I'm literally making a desicion every 3 minutes (what song do I play next?) There isn't a "set playlist" as many people have asked me about. And playing the wrong song could literally mean a dance floor clearing like water flowing off an angled roof.

The physical strain is intense too. For a five hour wedding reception I'm spending another 2-3 hours setting up and tearing down. During the actual event, I'm on my feet, generally standing in the same place for hours.

And at the end of the night, if the bride and groom aren't being quickly whisked away or having to say "goodbye" to about 100 people they will come over and thank me. It's awesome to hear.

On occasion, a surpise will show up in the mailbox and I'll get a nice thank-you card. Rarely though do I get something like this, which showed up in my email a little less than 14 hours after I played the last dance at Matt and Heidi's wedding.

Subject: Best DJ Ever!!

I didn't get a chance to thank you last night. The music and lighting was FANTASTIC!!! Everyone came up to us and commented on what a great DJ you were and how great the music was!!! I saw some the wedding guests this morning and they were still talking about the music! You were amazing and I thank you a hundred times over! I will most definitely be in touch if we need a DJ in the future and be sure to pass your name on to anyone who is in need of a DJ.

Thank you once again!! The best music ever!!!

Heidi and Matt

No comments: