August 15, 2010

John and Deanna's Setlist

John and Deanna were married on August 14, 2010 at the historic Hotel del Coronado. It was an amazing day that capped off with an outstanding performance by Wayne Foster Entertainment. I've heard so many great things about WFE and was excited to work alongside them.

On this night, they busted out a nine piece band, complete with horns, keyboards, percussion, guitar, vocalists, dancers and tons and tons of props. They played for two hours, following dinner and performed amazing covers from Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Journey, Jay Sean, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson ... the list goes on and on.

They were scheduled to end at 10 p.m. and I was slated to spin the final two hours of the evening. They were rocking the crowd so hard that they ended up playing to 10:45. With the cake cutting, a groom's speech and the bouquet toss, that left me with just over an hour to finish out the gig.

One hour of mixing ... no problem, right?

Well there was one problem. WFE is an talented collection of musicians. I knew they would have standard cover songs like Billie Jean and September. I did not expect Bad Romance and California Gurls.

When it was my turn, I certainly did not want to repeat any songs that were played earlier in the evening. So I took notes as they played and when I hit the stage I did my best to keep the energy going without the benefit of being able to play "hot" songs.

So what did I end up with? I incorporated some of my standards (90s hip hop), specific bride requests (Justin Bieber and Young MC), a few audience requests (Billy Idol) and for the closing I was pretty proud to work in "Escape" from Enrique Iglesias, Jr.

It was a song that Deanna specifically requested that I play. As it got closer to midnight, I had not played it and as I thought about the lyrics and the tune, I realized it was the perfect closer. "You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape my love."

Here are all the other tunes from the evening.

























































































































SongArtist
IntroWe Like To PartyVenga Boys
First DanceFor Me This Is HeavenJimmy Eat World
Dance SetJust DanceLady Gaga


Bust a MoveYoung MC


Good VibrationsMarky Mark and the Funky Bunch


Tik TokKesha


OMGUsher


Baby Got BackSir Mix A Lot


YeahUsher


Montel Party BreakDJ Emotion


Jump AroundHouse of Pain


GasolinaDaddy Yankee


Mony MonyBilly Idol


Love ShackB-52s


Hey YaOutkast


ForeverChris Brown


Do You RememberJay Sean


DJ Got Us Falling In Love AgainUsher


Blah, Blah, BlahKesha


Poker FaceLady Gaga


Somebody To LoveJustin Bieber


EscapeEnrique Igelsias, Jr.

No comments: